November 7, 2006

Ilha Grande


Location: Ilah Grande, Brazil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilha_Grande .

Two hours on a bus, Two plus of the longest hours of my life on a boat... or more accurately the 'Barf Barge' (right) on route to Ilah Grande. What a frickin adventure, I'm still a bit traumatized to speak of said boat ride. Missing the 'luxurious' ferry had to take a barely floating, miniature boat that had a capacity of 25 with 50 people aboard. 'The weather started getting rough and the tiny ship was tossed' yes and then people started tossing their cookies, or spaghetti as the case was for little boy with the face of a man. I was now not only concerned for my life as the boat was often on a 45 degree angle, but I was trying to avoid getting puked on. Trying hard not to make the boy feel worse I looked the other way, but as the waters got more violent and the vomit a like I attempted to run to the front of the boat. I say attempted as I only made it half way, fell on an elder lady and broke some eggs. As the boat calmed down for a moment I tried again to get up, but the old bag I fell on wouldn't let go of my ruck-sack ... we had a bit of a tug-of-war, I won, and finally made my way to the front of the boat to stand and breath fresh air. What I didn't notice thank goodness was that the lady next to the old bag was actually throwing up into a see-through plastic bag for everyone to see. Just as I thought the excitement was over there was a mad rush to the back of the boat. The captain and skipper were throwing ropes overboard and screaming bloody murder. I thought this was it, my final moments were going to be in the shaky waters of Brazil. I was mistaken though, we were actually rescuing another boat. AH!

Such an ordeal could not have ended as perfectly as it did. Although it was pouring rain the island was such of a Paradise that I cannot describe. Small, quaint, precious. The accommodations were the same, small wooden huts hidden in the trees. For dinner we ate at a restaurant/bar the name of which I can't remember, nothing special, but good food, conversation and fabulous drinks. I was introduced to a Caiporoska (your fruit of choice with vodka & sugar) and I loved it. Yum!

I got acquainted with Stevo (gap tour leader), poor guy was mugged in Rio and in a coma for 3 days before I met him in Rio. Turns out he is a bit of a party animal, more so then me believe it or not.

Although today was mostly a travel day it was still pretty eventful. I have so far loved my time here, only complaint is that I'm going to bed early... it's only 1:00 am. Oh and the weather isn't that great, but it's only day 2 :-)

No comments: