November 5, 2006

Bon Voyage Toronto


Location: American Airlines Flight 1011

Where do I start? I know, the beginning should be obvious, start the journal when I get to my destination, this trip being South America starting in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Well I would normally disagree and begin somewhere between the airport and the plane ride. Today I am going to start even earlier, I am going to begin with the day before my journey. You may not see why it relevant, but it has effective my entire day.

So let us begin. I decided it would be wise not, yes not, sleep before my trip. My logic was that it was a 20 hour journey and I wanted to sleep the entire way so I would arrive well rested, fresh and ready for new adventures when I arrived in Rio. So my last night myself and the gang LS, DC, RM & I went out until 6 am! I went home and finished packing then tried to wake up LS at 9:00 so she could drive me to the airport. She did manage to wake up and successfully get me to my plane on time. Her journey home on the other hand was a story in itself... but her story to tell not mine. Looking forward to sleeping on the plane I had no coffee and no energy providing substance at all. That didn't matter, 'cause I didn't sleep, not yet, not one wink.

Despite my lack of sleep I am enjoying my day at the Miami International Airport It started with my chipper self going through US customs explaining to the customs officer that I was going to South America, by myself, for fun. Apparently this was odd, or he thought I was transporting some illegal narcotics because ... well here is our conversation.
Officer: Where are you travelling to today?
Marisa: South America, starting in Brazil.
O: What for?
M: Fun
O: Fun? Do you know anyone there?
M: Nope
O: Why Brazil?
M: For fun.
O: Who are you travelling with?
M: No one... just me.
O: Why?
M: For fun. (sticking to my story)
O: What do you do?
M: I'm a Real Estate Agent.
O: Do you Speak Portuguese?
M: No
O: Good luck.... (he gestures that I am done and I begin to walk away) oh and have FUN.
So I thought this was funny before I wrote it (could have been the lack of sleep), now not as funny, but I am choosing to leave that in.

No comments: