December 2, 2006

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Location: 3000 metres above Pucon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villarrica_%28volcano%29

Today I hiked up Volcano Villarrica one of Chile's most active Volcanos. . Bright and early (after 3 hours of sleep) we were off to have breakfast, suit up and climb a volcano. Regardless of the lack of sleep I felt better then I did the night before which proves my theory that beer is good for you.

It was the most challenging thing I think I've ever done. It wasn't just physically challenging but mentally. When you are standing on a snow capped mountain, sweating your ass off, exhausted and hungry you look 1800 metres down and 1000 metres up and the thought of walking any further up is daunting. It would be so much easier to just go back down, I mean the views from here were already magnificent why do I have to continue. Well as I answer myself I didn't come this far to give up. So I continued with the Odyssey :-)

The walk had ups and downs, I had fears and doubts but it was worth it. I don't know how long it took, I think it took 4 hours to get to the top. I was one of the slower walkers, I felt fine, in fact I got more energy the higher, closer I got. When we got to the 'Top of the world' I felt like I was in heaven... or at least what I would picture heaven to look like. I was above the clouds for crying out loud! It really makes you appreciate the wonders of nature. Honestly not even my pictures can capture the essence, but I did my best.

I felt that this trek was the kick in the butt I needed during a vacation of debauchery. The best part of the hike was getting down. We had to slid down the mountain on our butts. When I was 10 it would have been the perfect tobogganing hill, now, it was fun for about 1500 metres, and then I was over it :-) I was tired and headachey from the altitude, and soaking wet. Couldn't wait to get back to the Hostel and peel off my underwear.





On a side note I wanted to wish a Happy Birthday to my friend Dee back home. I just want you to know while you are out celebrating 3o years I wi
ll be trying to sleep on a night bus... again :-(

No comments: